SPECIAL EDITION // 4 weeks challenge: Going Paleolithic
As I mentioned in my previous post, I’m doing a 4 weeks challenge going Paleo. The first week came to an end and it was much easier than I thought!
I started the week with a physical assessment in order to make a comparison in the end based on evidence and not only on my perceptions. This diet began with the following values:
- Weight: 64.2
- BMI: 22.2
- Waist circumference: 81
- Hip circumference: 99
- Fat mass: 26.3
- Muscle mass: 44.9
- Visceral fat: 1.5
- Glycaemia: 75
- Cholesterol: 233
I will only repeat this assessment at the end of the 4 weeks.
When I began to plan my meals for this first week I realized that what I was eating was not so different, because I chose to follow a comprehensive Paleo type, which helped me a lot.
Here is my weekly menu:
- I totally cut out pasta, rice, bread, oatmeal… Well, all cereals. From that list I would only have bread shape for breakfast and oatmeal for snacks, so I just had to cut it out;
- Since I’m trying to lose weight, this week I also did not eat sweet potato or regular potato;
- I cut out all legumes (like beans and peas);
- I ate more seeds and dried fruit than usual;
- I didn’t cut out dairy products, but I reduced them quite a lot;
- When I felt like I really wanted to eat some sugar, I ate a bit of chocolate with 85% cocoa;
- I had 100% Paleo meals all week long and I didn’t have any “junk” food (something I read about a lot).
About the “junk” meal, I’m not really into fundamentalisms or extremisms. My goal is to ensure maximum compliance with the Paleo diet, but if I really want to eat Mexican food, sushi or have a brunch once a week, I won’t have a problem with that. The important thing is to find our balance!
At the end of the first week I immediately noticed less abdominal swelling. One of the things that bothered me (a lot!) was waking up in the morning with a flat belly and ending up the day with a balloon belly . This week the swelling reduced day by day I got to the end of the day with a “normal” belly. Another improvement I noticed was one related with my bowel transit, which is now working well and daily. Before the Paleo diet I would only go the bathroom from 2 to 2 days, sometimes 3 – that also helped reducing the size of my belly.
The biggest challenge thsi week was at night, I woke up a few times in the middle of the night feeling hungry, but I think that was due to the fact that I skipped my late-night snack some days and also because the time between dinner and bedtime was too long on other days.
So far, so good. Let’s see what the second week of this challenge will bring me!
This post was originally written in Portuguese. Click here to read the Portuguese version.